The Langstone Harbour Board is the statutory harbour authority for Langstone Harbour and a Competent Harbour Authority (CHA) under the Pilotage Act 1987. The Board was established in 1962 with the Pier and Harbour Order (Langstone Harbour) Confirmation Act, 1962. The Board has powers to charge, which derive from the Harbours, Docks and Piers Clauses Act 1847 and the Harbours Act 1964. The Board’s main functions are:
- Navigational & safety functions, including the provision of navigation marks, removal of wrecks and other conservancy functions
- Regulation of activities, including the movement of vessels and the laying of moorings, by means of byelaws, licences and harbour directions
- The provision of a Pilotage service
- The prevention of pollution
In addition, the Langstone Harbour Revision Order 1999 made the Board a statutory consultee in respect of certain developments and gave the Board limited powers in relation to conservation, education and interpretation of the environment and the harbour.
In 2005 a Harbour Revision Order extended the Board’s area of jurisdiction for Pilotage to comply with the requirements of the Port Marine Safety Code.