It is an offence to use a PW in Langstone Harbour without a valid Permit. Permits are valid for a year between 1 April and end of March and permit-holders must display the adhesive plaque provided by the Board as evidence that they have obtained a permit prior to launching. Below are the conditions of the permit.
- Jet skiing is prohibited in The Run (harbour entrance) and in all mooring areas.
- Jet skiing is permitted in other areas of the harbour only when navigating at or below the 10 knots harbour speed limit (equivalent to 10 mph).
- Launching and recovery of jet skis is allowed at all points of access to the harbour. However, in The Run, the jet ski must proceed as nearly as practicable in a straight line to or from the sea at or below the 10 knots speed limit. The use of jet skis in The Run is prohibited except for access to or from the sea.
- The permit must be produced for inspection on demand by the Board’s authorised officers. Only permit holders or named Additional Riders may use the PWC for which the permit is issued. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to ensure that this condition is met.
- Persons under the age of 12 years are not permitted to operate or take charge of a jetski.
- Failure to comply with the above conditions will be a breach of the Jet Ski Byelaw and may result in this permit being revoked and the Owner and/or Rider being prosecuted.
You should be covered for third party risks with a valid insurance policy for up to £2,000,000 per claim.
- Your PW permit entitles you to unlimited launching during the year for which it is valid. You may choose to pay launching fees either daily or annually but the PW permit is valid for the year (or remainder) for which it is issued, irrespective of how you choose to pay launching fees.
- Permit charges are not refundable
- Evidence that a permit has been issued will be provided in the form of an adhesive plaque, which must be prominently displayed on the PW for which it was issued
- A separate permit is required for each PW
- The datatag registration number on your PW must be shown on your permit
Credit cards, Debit cards, Cash and Cheques (with payment card) are all accepted at the Harbour Office. Cheques should be made payable to ’Langstone Harbour Board’. It will be necessary to attend the Harbour Office in person to obtain a PW permit because the permit must be signed by the applicant and countersigned on the Board’s behalf. It will assist us if you obtain your permit and pay your annual launch fee in advance, as this is a major cause of congestion on the slipways.
Please read your permit conditions carefully before launching.
Notification of Changes
It is essential that you advise the Harbour Office immediately of any change in ownership or owner details relating to a PW which has been issued with a permit. If you dispose of your PW you should remove the permit sticker or you may become liable for prosecution if the craft is still registered in your name.